Mission Main Street Grant
I recently came across a wonderful opportunity for Midwest Yarn and applied for the Mission Main Street Grant program through Chase Bank. Small Businesses across the country that have been in business for 2 years or longer can apply for this grant for the opportunity to be awarded $150,000 to grow. In order to have our application considered, we also have to receive 250 votes prior to October 17. Click here to vote.
What would we do with $150,000, besides buying yarn (of course)?
- Make updates to our retail space and building. I honestly never want to leave Bay View, it is a wonderful neighborhood to have our shop. So a grant would mean being able to fix cosmetic issues with the building, put up an awning for our local people who wait at the bus stop out front, and renovate inside (like waxing and refinishing floors, etc.)
- Install a ventilation fan so that yarn dyeing operations can move into the back of the shop. That’s more expensive than you’d think.
- It could also mean just buying and renovating another retail space within Bay View, too.
And yes, I’d get more yarn. Yarn that’s on my dream list. I’d even through a party, because why wouldn’t I celebrate growing our little shop? A grant like this means further solidifying our place in the community.
One week left to contribute to our Indiegogo campaign
The crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo is currently at $1,920, a little over 19% funded. I’ve received a lot of encouragement from the campaign and it’s drawing some positive attention to the shop. Funding this campaign is to help us pay for bringing a lot of yarn to begin wholesale distribution of hand dyed yarn done by yours truly.
It includes patterns and kits for this yarn and contributing to a perk that includes yarn means you’ll be contacted by me to choose which yarn you’d like and the color. All yarn used for my dyeing is amazing American made yarn.
Have questions about how to contribute? Contact me via email or comment below. Don’t forget, you have until 11:59pm on October 16 to contribute and participate in making a dream become reality. Read more details and contribute to the campaign here.
Want to get even more hand dyed yarn from OMG? Refer as many friends as you can. When your friends’ contributions reach:
- $250 – Get a copy of all the OMG patterns being released in November 2014
- $500 – Get a one skein project sent to you
- $1,000 – Get a two skein project sent to you
- $5,000 – Get enough yarn to knit a sweater in your color of choice (Up to 10 skeins of worsted weight yarn)
I Love Yarn Day
Join me, 10am – 4 pm, tomorrow, at the Cudahy Library to celebrate I Love Yarn Day. I’ll be talking about the Indiegogo campaign and be there knitting samples for the designs while participating with other area yarnies. I’ll be able to help with knit and crochet projects, and I’m bringing yarn and patterns to get people started on their holiday projects.
New Yarn is here!
We have Tahki Stacy Charles Donegal Tweed, Kraemer Yarns Perfection Worsted (American made yarn made from Domestic Merino and Acrylic wool), and are expecting more new yarn any day now. Exciting times!